While standing by the counter of Manchester Safe and Lock to get my HUD keys duplicated, my attention was drawn towards an article glued on the glass from the inside of the display cabinet.
You could glean from the paper where the news article is printed that it has seen the lights of the years past The paper fiber is clothed brown throughout.
“Super Thief Writes Crime-Stopper” is the headline story for that edition of Knight-Ridder Newspapers and is written by Philip Ward. According to the writer. the locksmith-turned-criminal Jack MacLean burgled $133 million in property from homes all along the East Coast.
Maclean’s loot gained him a summer home in Maine, a motor home, a seaplane, a Cadillac, a helicopter and paradoxically, the admiration of cops. From a superthief, MacLean during his time in prison, had earned a newname. Jailbird author. He wrote “Secrets of a Superthief: An Inside Guide to Keeping Burglars Outside Your Home.”
MacLean said that if only people would take his advice, it would possibly stop residential crime.
I can’t wait to spill his tips as I am an advocate of the first two and the fourth advice. So without further ado, here are Maclean’s tips to homeowners to keep burglars away.
- Always leave the stereo on in an empty house.
- Buy a DOG
- Floodlight the yard
- Put alarm stickers on the windows even if you don’t have a system
- Never hide valuables in the master bedroom because that is where the burglars go first
- Don’t bother with guns because you risk shooting a family member, a drunk neighbor or yourself. An air horn, the type boat owners use, is better.
This article reminds me of the movie “Catch Me if You Can” starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks. DiCaprio ended up working for FBI’s bank fraud department being the most elusive and brilliant forger himself prior to his capture.
It does make sense to commission the help or advice of the people who have many hands-on experience or expertise on matters… be it maleficent or beneficent.
For all your real estate needs, contact Maria Gilda Racelis of Home Buyers Realty. You will be glad you did. Visit her website www.amazingcthomes.com and or www.mariamakesithappen.com.
Latest posts by Maria Gilda Racelis (see all)
- Saying No to Commission. Yes to Professional Service Fee - June 10, 2017
- You are a Realtor! Be Damn Proud of It! - April 19, 2017
- You Can’t Reject Section 8 Tenants! - February 21, 2017